ZANESVILLE – The Muskingum Valley Council Boy Scouts has been approved to host summer camp.
The youth organization has been working to receive the go ahead for the camp since the end of March when the stay at home order was originally issued in Ohio.
“We’ve been dealing with the Coshocton County Health Department and just kind of waiting the last week and a half, two weeks, desperately for the Governor to say that opening camps would be okay and we got that word last week. We’re excited. We got 500 plus scouts ready to come out, over three weeks in July and, you know, this is the promise of scouting; they join because they want to go camping,” MVC B.S.A Executive Director Ed Mulholland said.
So far, the Muskingum Valley Council is one of only three scout organizations to be approved for conducting its summer camp in the Buckeye State.
“We’re only of only three boy scout camps that stuck through all of this in order to be approved. The big thing was researching CDC guidelines, American Camping Association, multiple webinars and phone-a-thons with other camping folks throughout the county, with our national office, and, just piecing all of the best guidance together. The program will be a little bit different but kids will be out at camp and having a great time and learning,” Mulholland said.
The first campers will begin their trip on Sunday, June 28th, and they will stay until the following Saturday.