ZFD Safety Tips on Heaters and Gas Leaks

Local News

ZANESVILLE, Ohio – Temperatures drop in the Winter season, and people will be trying to keep their homes warm.

This means turning up the heat and using alternate heating sources such as space heaters. The Zanesville Fire Department said they do not recommend using space heaters as permanent heat for residents due to the dangers they cause. Also a big thing to look out for are Carbon Monoxide leaks. According to the CDC, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional Carbon Monoxide poisoning each year. It can be found in fumes produced from stoves, furnaces, and fireplaces. It’s especially dangerous because it is not visible and is odorless.

“If there’s ever a gas leak inside of your home, obviously first thing you want to do is evacuate and call 9-1-1. Some things to look for are signs and symptoms. Maybe like flu like symptoms. Maybe light headed, dizzy,” said Firefighter/Paramedic, Austin Eveland.

The ZFD responds to calls regarding gas leaks starting in the fall time, when it starts to get colder. The best way to prevent a gas leak is to install a Carbon Monoxide detector in your home.

“You can get one that is wired, hard wired all the time. You can get one that plugs in with a battery backup. Which is definitely recommended to change that battery back up when we change our batteries in our smoke detectors,” Eveland added.

The detectors are typically good for 10 years, and can be purchased at a Lowe’s or Home Depot.

 

Please follow and like us: