Fire Victim Indentified

Local News

Authorities have released the name of the man killed in a fire Wednesday in Newark.

According to the Licking County Coroner’s Office 37-year-old Eric Gerstner died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Sergeant Scott Snow with the Newark Police Department said the fire broke out shortly after 5 a.m. Wednesday morning in an apartment at 425 Mount Vernon Road. After firefighters extinguished the blaze they found the body.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating. Spokesman Shane Cartmill said the fire started near a sofa bed or futon, and the apartment did have working smoke detectors that activated.

At this time authorities do not suspect foul play. This is the 48th fire-related death in Ohio in 2010.

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

sixteen − four =